This chili is a low-cal recipe that combines chili AND booze! Also, it is another slow cooker recipe, so you can set it and forget it! Isn’t that phrase from some obnoxious infomercial? Meh, I really do not care enough to take the time and Google it. Anyway, this is a lighter version of chili that has an awesome bite of both lime and tequila. Despite being lighter, it is very hearty and filling. It is great with a topping of some avocado and a few extra squirts of lime juice. And, yes, it still goes well with cornbread. So, if you are looking for a slightly healthier super bowl option, here it is. It is 270 calories for a 1 1/3 cup serving. You will have to add in extra calories for other toppings you may want to include. And if you are like me and think this year’s Super Bowl is a rather boring matchup where you could not care less who wins, then at least you can have some awesome chili.
Tequila-Lime Turkey Chili
Adapted from America’s Test Kitchen Light and Healthy 2012
1 slice of hearty white sandwich bread, torn into quarters
2 tablespoons whole milk
1 pound 93% lean ground turkey
Salt and Pepper
2 onions chopped fine
2 teaspoons canola oil
2 tablespoons tomato paste
4 teaspoons chili powder –add extra or use chipotle chili powder if you want to bring on the heat
5-6 garlic cloves minced – or 2 great big squirts of the pre-minced stuff in a bottle
3-4 teaspoons ground cumin
2-3 teaspoons fresh minced oregano or ½ – 1 teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
1 (15 oz) can pinto beans drained and rinsed
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
¼ cup tequila
1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon minced canned chipotle chili in adobo sauce
1 teaspoon grated lime zest plus 1 tablespoon lime juice
Avocado for toppingLime wedges for serving
1. Mash bread and milk into a fine paste in a large bowl with a fork. Mix in ground turkey and pepper to taste using hands until uniform.
2. Combine onions, oil, and ¼ teaspoon salt in a large skillet. Cover and cook on medium low heat until soft, 8-10 minutes.
3. Uncover, increase heat to medium, stir in tomato paste, chili powder, garlic, cumin, oregano and pepper flakes. Cook for about 30 seconds.
4. Stir in turkey mixture and cook, breaking up large pieces until all the pink is gone.
5. Stir in tomato sauce, scrap up any brown bits and cook for about a minute. Pour into slow cooker.
6. Stir beans, tomatoes, 3 tablespoons tequila, soy sauce, honey and chipotle into slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 4-6 hours.
7. Once time is up, stir in remaining tablespoon tequila, lime zest and juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
8. Serve with your choice of toppings.
Eat, and maybe watch the Puppy Bowl with the Kitten Halftime Show instead…